One common UI paradigm for navigation menus with responsive design is to display a select box (form element)
for mobile devices. This plugin allows you to turn your WordPress 3 menu into a select box below a width of your choice.
- Takes up less screen real estate on mobile devices
- Easier navigation for touch screens
- Works automatically – no need to add extra PHP code
Through the Responsive Select Menu Control Panel you can:
- New in 1.2 – select which theme locations to apply the menu to
- Set your width breakpoint (where your menu switches from your standard menu to a select box)
- Configure how many levels you wish to include in the select menu. Set it to 1 to include only the top-level menu items.
- Choose the character used to indent your submenu items within the select box
- Choose whether or not to exclude “dummy” items that don’t have links
- Set the text of the first menu item
The demo is built with UberMenu – WordPress Mega Menu Plugin , but it is designed to work with any UL-based WordPress 3 menu.
Based on the excellent tutorial from Chris Coyier and CSS Tricks – thanks!
This section describes how to install the plugin and get it working.
- Upload the plugin zip through your WordPress admin
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress
- Navigate to Appearance > Responsive Select to configure your menu
- If you are using UberMenu 3, disable the Responsive Toggle setting in the UberMenu Control Panel > Main UberMenu Configuration > Responsive & Mobile > Responsive Toggle.
- Do I have to have a “Navigate” item as my first item
You can change the name of this item, but it has to exist. Otherwise, you won’t be able to navigate to the first item in the menu
if you’re not using the “Show currently selected item” – even if you have that option enabled, the issue would still exist on pages not
in the menu.
- It doesn’t work
If your theme creates a menu the standard way with wp_nav_menu, it should work. If not, make sure you’re using 1.3+, as this resolves the most common “it doesn’t work” issue.
There are no reviews for this plugin.
Contributors & Developers
“Responsive Select Menu” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Interested in development?
- Ignore UberMenu Advanced Items
- Fix notices that occur if UberMenu settings aren’t saved for menu items
- Added UberMenu 3 compatibility
- Added Cyrillic characters fix (experimental)
- Added UberMenu Conditionals compatibility
- Added filterable first menu item names
- Resolved WordPress 3.6 Strict Warnings
- Added ‘License’ to header to avoid installation errors
- Improves compatibility with latest versions of UberMenu
- Handles blank menu items better
- Better compatibility with themes that remove the wp_nav_menu ‘container’ parameter.
- Added option to select specific theme locations to apply the responsive select menu to.
- Fixed option closing tag order for valid HTML markup
- Initial version