Meta tags provide information about the webpage in the HTML of the document. This information is called "metadata" and while it is not displayed on the page itself, it can be read by search engines and web crawlers. Search engines such as Google use metadata from meta tags to understand additional information about the webpage. They can use this information for ranking purposes, to display snippets in search results
According to John Mueller (2017):Meta Tags can affect the way that users see your site in the search results and whether or not they actually click through to your site.
Meta Keywords are a specific type of meta tag that appear in the HTML code of a Web page and help tell search engines what the topic of the page is. Meta keywords are distinguished from regular keywords because they appear "behind the scenes," in the source code of your page, rather than on the live, visible page itself.
META Keywords play a helpful part in communicating your message and attracting searchers to your site. And in the competitive world of search engine marketing, every little bit helps.
For example, Yandex (META TAGS that Yandex takes into account) and Baidu use the meta keywords element to determine the page's relevance to search queries.
How it works
META TAGS for SEO plugin allows to deploy illimited & customized META tags (mainly META Keywords) everywhere on your website or on specific pages/posts/custom post types/product pages depending on your content (for SEO purpose).
Note: this plugin is mainly dedicated to deploy custom META Keywords (for SEO) based on your content. However, you can use the "Custom tags" (PRO version) area to add any other custom tag.
- Click on "Add new META"
- Select the value (Keyword) – (or "Copyright", "Author" with PRO version)
- Enter any content as META Keyword (not required IF using "Focus Keyword", "Add post title" or "Add site Title" feature)
- Select where to apply this META tag (everywhere, pages, posts, product pages, custom post types, …)
- You can choose to use the Yoast Focus Keyword OR the Rank Math Focus keyword as META Keyword (please note that if using this feature, each METa Keyword will be different depending on the "Focus keyword" used on each page, post, product page, …)
- Add post title as META Keyword (please note that if using this feature, each META Keyword will be different depending on the "post title" used on each page, post, product page, …)
- Add title as META Keyword
You can now preview how your META Keyword looks once deployed.
Once done, you can:
- Duplicate this META keyword and select another "Post type" (for example, "posts" instead of "page", if selected previously)
- OR click on "Add NEW META" and create a brand new one.
Once done. Click on SAVE.
Note: if required, when using PRO version, you can disable locally META TAGS for SEO (if you don't want one of these META TAGS to appear on a specific page)
- Unzip all files to the
- Log into WordPress admin and activate the ‘Meta Tags for SEO’ plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu
- Go to “Meta Tags for SEO” in the left-hand menu to start work on it.
What type of keywords can be used for SEO
The most important thing to keep in mind when selecting or optimizing your meta keywords is to be sure that each keyword accurately reflects the content of your pages.
Aside from the obviously important questions of number and relevance, when selecting your keywords, it's a good idea to bear in mind:
- Common Misspellings: A best practice, including misspellings in your meta tags may indicate to search engines that your page is relevant to the (misspelled) search query, without your having to include the misspellings in your webpage copy.
- Long-Tail Keywords: Keyword variations and plurals are both useful to keep in mind, as well as the more extensive and more specific phrases known as long-tailed keywords.
- Real Searches: The real search terms that brought users to your page in the past can be your best friend when creating lists of meta keywords. Check your analytics or log files to find those keywords, and use keyword tools to back up your data. What words do people tend naturally to use when describing your business? And what words are your competitors using?
How many keywords should I use?
It is important here to ensure that their amount stays within reason and the keywords correspond to the actual page content, because meta keywords should not give any notion of spam or keyword stuffing to search engines.
As a general rule, no more than ten meta keywords should be recorded.
Contributors & Developers
“Auto SEO META keywords (META tags keywords) optimization + WooCommerce” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Interested in development?
- 🚀 Initial release.
- 🐛 FIX: Some text and metabox screenshot
- 🐛 FIX: Language domain issue
- 👌 IMPROVE: Notifications for opt-in