This email cloaking method:
- is accessible for people browsing with screen readers (e.g., blind people);
- requires no shortcodes.
Email addresses in the form
email AT address DOT com is still readable to humans.
Unzip the zip file into the
/wp-content/plugins/ directory. Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress.
- Won’t email scrapers figure out email addresses in the form `email AT address DOT com`?
In a test comparing the effectiveness of different obfuscation methods in 2008, the obfuscation method “Using ATs and DOTs” received much less spam than “Replacing @ and . with Entities”. Assuming that the 2008 test is an accurate model, this plugin should reduce over 99% of spam without compromising accessibility.
“CSS display: none” should not be used, because screen readers cannot read content styled with
display: noneeither. Reversing email addresses and using ROT-13 encryption are obviously not accessible, either.
- Do email addresses that end with “.ca” or “.info” work?
Yes. Any email address with a TLD (top-level domain) of two, three, or four characters would work.
- Do email addresses that end with “co.uk” work?
Yes. Email address that end in “co.uk” always worked, but as of version 3.2, you can use the intuitive form: email AT address DOT co.uk.
- Something is broken.
Remember that the
DOTmust be all uppercase (capital letters). You can also try going to Settings and change the replacement method to “Walk the DOM”, which is the new default for version 3.0+.
Contributors & Developers
“HumansNotBots – Easy, Accessible Email Cloaker” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Interested in development?
- Updated to allow intuitive form of .co.uk email addresses, i.e., email AT address DOT co.uk.
- Fixed bug in node replacement logic for Walk the DOM method
- Added support for internationalization.
- Changed default replacement method to “Walk the DOM”, because “innerHTML” had problems with IE.
- DOM replacement method should be faster.
- Added option to use another method if the HumansNotBots plugin is incompatible with the WP-Cumulus plugin
- Moved script from body onload to wp_footer
- Improved humansnotbots.js
- Fixed error that emptied body class values
- Supports Hybrid theme
- Used wp_enqueue_script to add JS instead of printing to wp_head
- Fixed error that caused PHP to throw a function.join warning