This plugin allows to authenticate users against OpenID Connect OAuth2 API with Authorization Code Flow.
Once installed, it can be configured to automatically authenticate users (SSO), or provide a “Login with OpenID Connect”
button on the login form. After consent has been obtained, an existing user is automatically logged into WordPress, while
new users are created in WordPress database.
Much of the documentation can be found on the Settings > OpenID Connect Generic dashboard page.
Please submit issues to the Github repo: https://github.com/daggerhart/openid-connect-generic
- Upload to the
- Activate the plugin
- Visit Settings > OpenID Connect and configure to meet your needs
What is the client’s Redirect URI?
Most OAuth2 servers will require whitelisting a set of redirect URIs for security purposes. The Redirect URI provided
by this client is like so: https://example.com/wp-admin/admin-ajax.php?action=openid-connect-authorize
example.comwith your domain name and path to WordPress.
Can I change the client’s Redirect URI?
Some OAuth2 servers do not allow for a client redirect URI to contain a query string. The default URI provided by
this module leverages WordPress’s
admin-ajax.phpendpoint as an easy way to provide a route that does not include
HTML, but this will naturally involve a query string. Fortunately, this plugin provides a setting that will make use of
an alternate redirect URI that does not include a query string.
On the settings page for this plugin (Dashboard > Settings > OpenID Connect Generic) there is a checkbox for
Alternate Redirect URI. When checked, the plugin will use the Redirect URI
Contributors & Developers
“OpenID Connect Generic Client” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
- Improvement: @timnolte – Refactors Composer setup and GitHub Actions.
- Improvement: @timnolte – Bumps WordPress tested version compatibility.
- Feature: @matchaxnb – Added support for additional configuration constants.
- Feature: @schanzen – Added support for agregated claims.
- Fix: @rkcreation – Fixed access token not updating user metadata after login.
- Fix: @danc1248 – Fixed user creation issue on Multisite Networks.
- Feature: @RobjS – Added plugin singleton to support for more developer customization.
- Feature: @jkouris – Added action hook to allow custom handling of session expiration.
- Fix: @tommcc – Fixed admin CSS loading only on the plugin settings screen.
- Feature: @rkcreation – Added method to refresh the user claim.
- Feature: @Glowsome – Added acr_values support & verification checks that it when defined in options is honored.
- Fix: @timnolte – Fixed regression which caused improper fallback on missing claims.
- Fix: @slykar – Fixed missing query string handling in redirect URL.
- Fix: @timnolte – Fixed issue with some user linking and user creation handling.
- Improvement: @timnolte – Fixed plugin settings typos and screen formatting.
- Security: @timnolte – Updated build tooling security vulnerabilities.
- Improvement: @timnolte – Changed build tooling scripts.
- Fix: @timnolte – Fixed missing URL request validation before use & ensure proper current page URL is setup for Redirect Back.
- Fix: @timnolte – Fixed Redirect URL Logic to Handle Sub-directory Installs.
- Fix: @timnolte – Fixed issue with redirecting user back when the openid_connect_generic_auth_url shortcode is used.
- Fix: @timnolte – Fixed invalid State object access for redirection handling.
- Improvement: @timnolte – Fixed local wp-env Docker development environment.
- Improvement: @timnolte – Fixed Composer scripts for linting and static analysis.
- Fix: @timnolte – Fixed problems with proper redirect handling.
- Improvement: @timnolte – Changes redirect handling to use State instead of cookies.
- Improvement: @timnolte – Refactored additional code to meet coding standards.
- Fix: @timnolte – Fixed reported XSS vulnerability on WordPress login screen.
- Fix: @timnolte – Prevent SSO redirect on password protected posts.
- Fix: @timnolte – CI/CD build issues.
- Fix: @timnolte – Invalid redirect handling on logout for Auto Login setting.
- Feature: @timnolte – Ability to use 6 new constants for setting client configuration instead of storing in the DB.
- Improvement: @timnolte – Plugin development & contribution updates.
- Improvement: @timnolte – Refactored to meet WordPress coding standards.
- Improvement: @timnolte – Refactored to provide localization.